Just a quick post to review the predictions I made and how well they turned out.
- Name: iPad (Ding!)
- Size: 9.7″ (Ding! I said 10″)
- Form Factor: Basically a large iPod Touch (Ding!)
- Home Button? (Ding!)
- Aluminum back? (Ding!)
- Buttons and holes: headphone (Ding), microphone (Ding), volume (Ding), mute (Ding), sleep (Ding)
- USB port? (Bzzzt!) Only has Apple dock. But that serves to connect to your computer. And it does have adapters for cameras.
- Orientation: (Ding! Both portrait and landscape)
- WiFi (Ding)
- Internet connectivity: (Ding? 3G is optional. Nice surprise that it is easy to get 250MB/mo for $14.95)
- Won’t have a phone (Ding!)
- Software: (“It will be like an iPhone with some iWork apps available for download” DING! DING!) It actually runs iPhone apps like I expected.
- Books: (“They will probably start selling books through iTunes.” DING! DING!)
- GPS and big maps (DING!)
- Cameras: (BZZZZZT!) Not three, not two, not even one camera. Maybe version 2?
- Cost? I said $899 dropping to $699. I assumed it would have a 3G card installed. Their price for 3G? $629 to $829. Plus you want to buy the keyboard, case, and adapters. So I give myself a DING! for the price as well.
So I think I got most everything right. Big misses on cameras and USB port. Bottom line is that the iPad is pretty much exactly what I pictured it to be in my mind. I will own one (or more).